You’re in the middle of a child custody battle. The first thing to do is hire a good divorce lawyer. How much time you’ll spend with your children is at stake. The best child custody lawyer in San Antonio, TX, will take care of the legal side of your custody dispute, but how you conduct yourself during the proceeding is important.
Here are some things you should and should not do while your case is being resolved:
- Explain what is going on to your children. Make sure the children know that you and your spouse love them and want what is best for them. You don’t want the children to think the divorce is their fault. Counseling for the children may be helpful.
- Stay active in your children’s lives. Help them with their homework and talk to them about what’s going on at school. Attend sporting activities and go to parent-teacher conferences. If the court enters a temporary custody or visitation arrangement, obey the order and don’t miss any visits with the child.
- Cooperate with the other parent. Be civil when you’re exchanging custody of the children. Don’t disparage your spouse, especially in front of your children.
- Be careful about posting things on social media. You don’t want to post negative comments about your spouse. You also don’t want to post pictures of you drinking, acting recklessly, or partying. This may be used against you in the custody proceedings.
- Document things that may help your case. If you have texts or written correspondences about an affair between your spouse and another person, preserve the evidence. If your spouse is acting inappropriately, take a video. Take pictures or make videos of yourself and your children when you’re sharing time together.
- Watch what you put in writing. If you’re angry, take a breather and hesitate before sending a negative email or text.
- Be on your best behavior. The judge will decide if you and your spouse will have equal time with the children, or if you will have more or less time with the children than your spouse. Behave as if someone is watching you all the time.
- Watch whom you associate with. Surround yourself with people who’ll have a positive influence on your children.
- Conduct yourself professionally during court proceedings. When in court, present yourself well. Dress properly, be on time, and be polite. You want the judge to know you are a well-mannered person and an excellent parent.
- Listen to your lawyer. The first thing you should do in a child custody case is to hire the best family divorce lawyer. Take your lawyer’s advice so you can get the best outcome in your child custody case.
If you’re involved in a child custody dispute, call the Law Offices of Steven C. Benke at 210-308-0004.